cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RFID tracking with MSE

nikhilcherian
Level 5
Level 5

I want to design the RFID tracking a big convention hall, which require around 300 AP for the 3 dimensional design. The AP are spread between 3 WLC. I have placed the AP so that I can get coverage from 3 AP in s single point. I would like to convert every alternate AP to Monitor mode for better tracking and better client load-balancing. Now my question is should I move all the Monitor mode AP to a single controller or for the client tracking the MSE uses the input from multiple controllers

8 Replies 8

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

There is no benefit to having all of the monitor mode APs on the same WLC. I would leave it spread out however it is today and just have the MSE synchronized with all of the WLCs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Wont it be simple if I make all the monitor mode AP join the same WLC and all the local mode AP in another WLC, It will be easy for RRM also right.

Does the MSE track it based on the client mac, say for example if there is a client mac A:B:C, does the MSE which all WLC are reporting this mac and then locate the client

I agree with Blake.  I don't see any point putting your WAP (alternately or not) into monitor mode.  I mean if you are afraid of channel interference then there are ways to mitigate this.  Enable dynamic RRM, DCA and TPC.  Disable 802.11b data rates and allow 802.11g.

If you really want to be "funky" then get 3500 or 3600.

Actually the network is already installed and I have come for supporting an event over here.. Roof is about 12 meters high and the AP 1250 and 1140 are used with external antennas.

My concern is AP can recive a better signal  from the neighboring AP  that it can provide to the clients. That is wher i thought of converting some neighboring AP to the monitor mode. Now I just want to make sure this change will not affect the TPC/DCA and the location tracking.

Should I continue to spread the AP across the WLC or keep all the monitor mode in single WLC and the other AP in other WLC

12 metres high???  Gee whiz!  That's too far!

Check the signal strength on the ground.  I have a strange feeling it's not that good even if you put all the WAPs into "local" mode.

Leo,

Yea it is 12 meters high, and I get gud signal

But I get that only when i stand in a single place. If I move around the signal fluctuates a lot

But I get that only when i stand in a single place. If I move around the signal fluctuates a lot

If you stand, the signal is good but if you move the signal fluctuates.

Right, this is typical and expected.  But it's another thing:  The client (and not the WAP) dictates what WAP to join when one stands still or when one roams around.

So I believe you are facing two different issues here:

1.  You may not have enough signal coverage between the "zones"; or

2.  Your wireless client could pose an issue.  Try a different client.  And don't try Android or Apple iDevices.  Get a real computer laptop/netbook and roam with it. 

1.  You may not have enough signal coverage between the "zones"; or

I cant say I am not getting good sigal, but it is just the fluctuation that conerns me. Another concern is the location tracking effectiveness when the number of clients increases

2.  Your wireless client could pose an issue.  Try a different client.  And don't try Android or Apple iDevices.  Get a real computer laptop/netbook and roam with it.

I actually tried with a HP laptop

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card