Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Roaming between APs causes reauthenticaion w/ CCKM

I have a small set up with a 2106 controller and two 1252AG access points.

Each AP is on a side of a floor less than 100' from each other. But with columns and partitions in the way they just barely overlap one another.

I have 2 WLANs configured with [WPA + WPA2][Auth(802.1X + CCKM)] (One is for N and one is for B/G). Testing is being performed with a MacBook Pro. When I roam from one AP to the other I am still prompted to reauthenticate.

Does the MBP not support CCKM? Perhaps the fact we are using token based auth?

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: Roaming between APs causes reauthenticaion w/ CCKM

CCKM-authenticated client devices can roam from one AP to another without any perceptible delay during reassociation. An AP on the network provides Wireless Domain Services (WDS) and creates a cache of security credentials for CCKM-enabled client devices on the subnet. The WDS APs cache of credentials dramatically reduces the time required for re-association when a CCKM-enabled client device roams to a new AP. When a client device roams, the WDS AP forwards the client's security credentials to the new AP. The re-association process is reduced to a two-packet exchange between the roaming client and the new AP. Roaming clients reassociate so quickly that there is no perceptible delay in voice or other time-sensitive applications.

Views
Helpful
Replies