Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Roaming problems with cisco tri-mode cards

I have a tower building 6 stories high and all floors are almost the exact same dimensions across. I used to have cisco 350 cards until a rececnt swap out of all notetbooks across the facility. When this happened we installed new machines with tri-mode Cisco cards. I was running the older version of the 350 card code on the client with the ability to uncheck the option to hunt for a closer access point becasue when I upgraded to newer versions it was not there and my connectivity was affected causing my clients to drop connection and lose data entry items.

That's the background - From here i'm experiencing the same type of thing with my tri-mode cards but now do not have the ability to remove this "hunt for better signal" option. Does anybody know of any other place to lower the agressivness on the tri-mode cards? I thouoght I was getting too much bleed between floors and have since lowered the signal strength on all flooor but am thinking that I was not affected with the old 350 cards.

details: all 1200 access points G radios. Code = 12.3.4

using LEAP authenticcation

Hp computers runniing XP with SP1. installed with cisco tri-mode cards with the latetst version of code might be 2.1 or some with 2.0 ADU.

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Green

Re: Roaming problems with cisco tri-mode cards

You could try setting the "Preferred AP" setting to the nearest AP (I think it's in the "Advanced" section in the profile menu/tab).

If the client loses sight of that AP, then it will attempt to roam.

Good Luck

Scott

Re: Roaming problems with cisco tri-mode cards

Thanks for the note scott. I forgot to mention that I tried that and it seems weird that even though I have that set it does in fact attempt to roam and I was also under the impression that it had to lose signal to that AP before looking elsewhere.

Someone also mentioned that I should try and to lower down the aggressiveness of the wireless adapter to look for new access point. to do this I'm going to try and configure on the wireless adapter Scan Valid Interval section under hardware drivers the advanced tab. We'll see what happens.

Regards

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content