Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

rollover cable and cross over cable

If I have OOB coonection from a terminal server to a router's console port, do I need to use rollover cable? how about if there's a patch panel betwn terminal server and the router, what cable should I use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Green

Re: rollover cable and cross over cable

Start simple: if it was a term server and a router (via console), the octal serial cable goes directly into the console port of 2500, 2600 ... anything with an RJ45-style port..

If the console is something like a 6500 or 7500, then you'd need an adapter to a db25 connector.

If you were going directly from a PC (db9f)to an RJ45-style console, it's via a "rolled" cable (reverse the pin order, 1-8, 2-7,3-6, etc) which is most often a powder blue flat cable.

Now, if you need to extend those connections, anything that ultimately results in a "straight through" extension should work, if it's not too long.

So, whatever cable you'd normally use, with whatever "straight-through" assemblies you use to create an extension.

Good Luck

Scott

1 REPLY
Green

Re: rollover cable and cross over cable

Start simple: if it was a term server and a router (via console), the octal serial cable goes directly into the console port of 2500, 2600 ... anything with an RJ45-style port..

If the console is something like a 6500 or 7500, then you'd need an adapter to a db25 connector.

If you were going directly from a PC (db9f)to an RJ45-style console, it's via a "rolled" cable (reverse the pin order, 1-8, 2-7,3-6, etc) which is most often a powder blue flat cable.

Now, if you need to extend those connections, anything that ultimately results in a "straight through" extension should work, if it's not too long.

So, whatever cable you'd normally use, with whatever "straight-through" assemblies you use to create an extension.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies