cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Root Bridge vs. AP

olympicridge
Level 1
Level 1

I presently have a point to multi-point wireless network using an AP350 at the wired central connection point. I would like to upgrade the access point with a BR1310. Should I configure the BR1310 as an AP or as a root Bridge? There are about a dozen client locations which use both BR1310s (presently in WGB mode) and WGB350s to connect to the central AP. I beleive that the 1310's and the WGB350s are all compatible with the central BR1310 as either an AP or a Root Bridge. Is there any advantage to using the central BR1310 configured as a root bridge versus an AP? The path length from the central point to the clients is about 12 miles. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

WGB associates only to AP. Better use BR1310 in AP mode.

I think the WGB350's will associate with a BR1310 root bridge and the BR1310 non-root bridges will also. Please tell me if that's not right. Is there any advantage to using a root bridge over an AP? Thanks for your response!

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

this link answers some questions about the WGB

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/wlan/workgroup-bridge-faq.pdf

which the following is one.

With which devices can a Workgroup Bridge associate?

Workgroup Bridge to Access Point (AP)

Workgroup Bridge to Bridge (in AP mode)

Workgroup Bridge to Base Station (in AP mode)

Workgroup Bridge to AP in repeater mode, if the repeater is associated with a root AP

hope this helps.

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: