Views
Helpful
Replies

Rule of thumb for # of users on AP-350

mmeditz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was curious if there was a rule of thumb on the # of users that the AP-350 could support until we should go get a new one and set it up on a different channel. Our users are not corporate users; mainly browsing www and email.

Thanks

Mike

3 Replies 3

robstarke
Level 1
Level 1

Mike,

I believe that you need to worry about over subscripting the bandwidth. 802.11 is an Ethernet protocol so I think the rule of thumb would be 30% of the bandwidth. I ask this question when I bought my wireless gear and was told that I could add as many host as I wanted.

Rob Starke

Thanks Rob,

That makes sense.

Mike

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

I generally advise clients to start at 25 users per AP, then watch their number of concurrent users and make adjustments accordingly. If you know you are going to implement wireless, then there's no extra cost to put up your first AP early to do a pilot.

Application requirements make a big difference, and yours do not seem too demanding. Actually, the best density is for Citrix users - you can get a huge number of clients per AP and still ahve phenomenal perceived performance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card