Views
Helpful
Replies

Segregate WLAN to specific AP's?

rcoote5902_2
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I'm using a 4404 WLC with 1131AG LWAPP's and I was wondering if there is a way to create a WLAN and have it only broadcast from specific APs?

I'm testing a new Wireless configuration but I don't want the WLAN going out across all of our AP's, just a select few in my own office.

Thanks!

Rob

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes you can. It's call AP Groups.

Wireless > Advanced > AP Groups.

In 5.2 it is AP Groups under the WLAN section. Prior to this, you had to do "WLAN Override" which had to be enabled on each radio of each AP http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.1/configuration/guide/c41wlan.html#wp1127323.

I'm running 5.1.151 - which means if I want to run a specific WLAN on say - 5 radios I have to turn it off in 95? (twice that if I have to disable it for both b/g and a)???

Seems an upgrade to 5.2 would make this easier with AP Groups. Would that be a correct assumption?

You can use WLAN Override, as what the previous post suggest. If want to risk it, you can upgrade to the latest version and use the AP Groups function. Whatever the decision is/will be, you'll wind up with the same result.

This will allow you to, say, to have five LAP to have a unique SSID while the others don't.

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card