Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting management interface vWLC 7.6.100

Daniel Jensen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have a problem setting Management interface IP. I get the error "Error in setting management interface IP. Conflict with another interface".

I have created 2 port groups, following the deployment guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12723/products_tech_note09186a0080bd2d04.shtml

I have cheked that the right port-group is associated with the correct Network adapter.

I am using  AIR-CTVM-7-6-100-0.

Does anyone faced this issue?

Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm not familiar with the vWLC. 

But is your Service Port and your Management in the same IP Subnet? 

They shouldn't be.  Service port should have a non-routable IP address. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the output to the command "sh interface summary" please?

It's in the first startup, when I configure it from the console, so I am afraid that i can't post the output.

I'm not familiar with the vWLC. 

But is your Service Port and your Management in the same IP Subnet? 

They shouldn't be.  Service port should have a non-routable IP address. 

Hello Leo.

I choosed Service-port as DHCP first, I think that was the mistake. When i choosed Static and assigned a none routeable IP (2.2.2.2) it worked.

Thanks.

Glad to see it works. 

And thanks for taking the time to rate our posts. 

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

If you have both interfaces in the same VLAN (even with different IPv4 networks) I have had issues with the vWLC. Access-points won't join the controller because the have the wrong MAC adres (from the service port and not from the management interface) in there ARP cache.

Is there someone else who has seen this issues? I have seen this in two deployments with 1600 AP's.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

If you have both interfaces in the same VLAN (even with different IPv4 networks) I have had issues with the vWLC.

Management Interface and Service Port IP addresses should NEVER BE in the same subnet.  This is the basic "foundation" to the WLC.  Service Port is exclusively used for Out of Bound Management (OoBM) and this is the main reason and it's functional design.  Management Interface, however, is the "network facing" IP address.  This is how you are able to manage the vWLC and how the APs talk to the vWLC (no more AP Management Interface). 

In our network, we use 10.0.0.0/8 so our Management IP address is one of the subnets of the 10.X.X.X/26 and a specific VLAN.  Our Service Port is also in another VLAN and has a 192.168.0.0/24 subnet.

Freerk Terpstra
Level 7
Level 7

I know that they should be on different IP subnets, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that you have to make sure that they are on different L2 networks aswell if your AP's are on the same VLAN. If not AP's won't join the controller because of the wrong ARP entry (I see in the arp table on the AP for the management IP the MAC adres from the service port)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

This "issue" has been fixed in AirOS release 8.0, see for more information bug CSCuj14843!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: