Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Setting up a small outdoor wireless network

Hello,

I am currently looking for some products to help me setup a a wireless LAN and I was wondering if your company might be able to offer some advice as well as equipment suggestions.

The goal of the network will be to allow people within at least a 4000 feet (to start, we would like to extend that in the future) range of an access point to access the high-speed internet connection avaliable at the central access point. In other words, we are looking to setup a small-area wireless internet network.

Here are some of the main criteria

- This project is just organised by a group of users, so there is no corporate backup and the costs needs to be low (preferably around $1000, the less the better)

- It is essential that the service be accessible from laptops

- It should be possible to access the service both from outside and from inside the buildings within the 4000 feet-range

- We would like to make the network as secure as possible, but it is not the greatest concern

- At first, the network will not have many users (maybe 5?) but will be expanded over time

- All of the users at first will have Windows-based PCs. We would be happy if it would be possible to offer the service on Macs as well, but it's not a top priority.

What kind of equipment, software, and implementation would you suggest for the above situation? I am eagerly awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

Yevgeniy Leshchinskiy

yevgeniy@graphicworld.com

2 REPLIES

Re: Setting up a small outdoor wireless network

You should look at Cisco’s Aironet 350 equipment. I think you’ll find it right within your specs and budget www.cisco.com/go/aironet

Re: Setting up a small outdoor wireless network

Cisco Aironet 350 series will be the best solution but total solution will probably be higher than $1000. Aironet includes an access point/modem combination that would be the basis for the network if you need the modem or cable modem capability. Range of the access points is limited more by the small laptop antennas than the access point. If you have desktops use the pci card for better range. You may need an additional access point to get the range you need. Wireless network card for each computer and you are done. Drivers are available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.

Views
Helpful
Replies