Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Should I set all data rates on WLC4400 to 'Supported'?

Hi Sir,

On a WLC4404, the default data rates on the 802.11b/g Global Parameters are as follows:

1 Mbps - Mandatory

2 Mbps - Mandatory

5.5 Mbps - Mandatory

6 Mbps - Supported

9 Mbps - Supported

11 Mbps - Mandatory

12 Mbps - Supported

18 Mbps - Supported

24 Mbps - Supported

36 Mbps - Supported

48 Mbps - Supported

54 Mbps - Supported

** Data Rate 'Mandatory' implies that clients who do not support that specific rate will not be able to associate. Data Rate 'Supported' implies that any associated client that also supports that same rate may communicate with the AP using that rate. But it is not required that a client be able to use the rates marked supported in order to associate **

Is it recommended to set all data rates to 'Supported'? Many clients (a mixture of b & g) occasionally face a lot of disconnections and I received many syslog messages as follows:

2007-01-25 11:58:31 Local0.Critical 10.0.0.10 [ERROR] apf_utils.c 198: Missing Supported Rate.

2007-01-25 11:58:31 Local0.Notice 10.0.0.10 [WARNING] apf_80211.c 2408: Received a message with an invalid supported rate from station 00:13:ce:11:89:b6.

Is the above syslog message has any implication on the client?

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Should I set all data rates on WLC4400 to 'Supported'?

Yes, if your wireless network comprises both of 802.11b and 802.11g clients, it is better to use supported than the mandatory option.

Silver

Re: Should I set all data rates on WLC4400 to 'Supported'?

Actually, the answer may not be that cut and dry.

Supporting lower data rates also results in the increase of AP radio receiver sensitivity.

This means that when lower data rates are enabled, one side effect is that the AP will receive more background noise.

In high-density environments (i.e.: where lots of APs that are close together and can then "hear" one another), supporting lower data rates can mean more co-channel interference.

From listening to Cisco's Neil Reid, a 15+ year vetran of 802.11, one of the first things that he says he does is to disable 1Mbit and 2Mbit data rates (for the RF advantages).

So it is important to understand the RF impact of any data rate settings.

- John

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content