Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Shut down WLAN after business hours

Hello,

We have recently deployed a vWLAN controller (AIR-CTVM-K9) and AIR-CAP2602I-A-K9 access points at all our sites.  Since we are a retail operation I want to make the WLAN unavailable after business hours.  The Cisco sales promo material mentions this as a capability but I can't find any supporting documentation.

How would I set this up?

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

There are several methods to achieve this and this depends on how your network is setup and how much technical skills you have:

1.  MS AD:  You can specify time and dates when authentication happens;

2.  Cisco EnergyWise:  You can specify what time of day(s) to enable the Cisco switch to provide PoE to the AP.  When specified, the switch will disable power to the port.

3.  You can enable time-based ACL to disable the dynamic interface of your AP.  Your AP will still be able to broadcast the SSID but it will NOT accept any clients (or the clients will get 169.X.X.X IP addresses).

Finally,

4.  If you have WCS/NCS or Prime Infrastructure, you can specify the time and date when the radio of the APs go up or down.

Leo,

Thank you.  Where can I find documentation for how to set up a time-based ACL to disable the dynamic interface of my AP?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Shut down WLAN after business hours

This is done on the switch. If you have a Cisco switch:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps1018/products_tech_note09186a00800a5b9a.shtml#timebasedtimerange

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content