cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shutting off Cisco 350 series client adapters from a program ?

tomjoh47
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I wounder if there is any way to shut off a 352 client adapter (it's a PC-card in a handheld computer) from within a program (API call) ? The power consumption is a bit high for the battery, and since the card is only used a few minutes every day it would be excellent if there is a way to control its power. If I uninstall the driver the card uses practically no power, so perhaps this is a Windows CE issue ?

Best Regards,

Thomas Johansson

3 Replies 3

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

Under windows (win2k XP etc) you can use the ACU to stop the card

From the acu click

commands ---> turn radio off

I dont do believe you can do this under windows CE as it is a very cut down version of acu to save resources.

There is a number of power management modes however to help you conserve battery life have you tried them ??

Options: CAM, Fast PSP, or Max PSP

Default: CAM (Constantly Awake Mode)

Details can be found here

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/350cards/win_ce/hig/ce_ch5.htm

Yes, it's true that CE doesn't have this option. I can select a non-functioning setup (wrong mode for instance), and then the card uses only a small fraction of its nominal power, but this is complicated and the users are not computer people. The power management modes makes little difference - the card uses at least 200 mA if there is another node nearby, and a little less if there isn't.

What I would like to do is to shut down the card from within my program - i.e. with an API function call somewhere.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I can understand that request and it seems fair, but unfortuantly that is not possible with the current version.

As to being able to do this via an API in a 3rd party application then you will need to get in contact with your Cisco account team as this information is not available.

The best way to address this for future releases is via your Cisco account team and ask them to put in a new feature request for this option

Sorry I can not be of more help

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card