Views
Helpful
Replies

Some Notebook can't connect AP

apirachat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have install the AP 1131AG and set security WPA-PSK, I found problem that some notebook connect to AP for 3-4 minutes,and then disconnect,reconnect,disconnect.

Please recommend me.

Thank you.

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What I would do is put the latest vendor approved driver on the clients. This helps a lot and keeps things standard. If an issues is with one client, usually it will happen to all. when you have a mixed environment of drivers it is hard to troubleshoot client issues. Especially with drivers from 2005 or earlier seemed to have issues a lot. If you have other notebooks that are solid, then you solved 50% of your issues. You know you have configured the ap right and some users have no issues. Now you have to compare the difference between the notebooks that work and the ones that don't.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Also, make sure to patch your version of Windows as there is a know issue with PSK. It also helps to verify that you are using TKIP or AES on both the WLAN and the client device. Also verify if the PSK is hex or ascii.

I use the same method of authentication, this is the first I've heard of there being a known issue with PSK, although I've suspected it for awhile, can you provide me with the article detailing the bug with PSK that you are reffereing to so I could have it handy?

Hi Fella5,Dennischolmes

Thanks for your reply.

In my environment,there are 2 Buildings,First Building use Cisco AP 1131,Second Building use Orinoco AP.Both of them are use same concept (WPA-PSK).I test with my notebook (ACER),it can connect smooth (not disconnect)both 2 Buildings.Then I test with Customer 's Notebook (DELL),the result is smooth when it connect to Orinoco AP,but when it connect to Cisco AP,it find problem (disconnect, and reconnect).

Please recommend me.

Thank you

What wifi card is in the Customer Laptop and also what driver? You tested with your notebook and everything was fine... so you can sort of eliminate the network side. When there are some devices that have no issues, it usually points to user end configuration or hardware issues.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I am betting you are using two different encryption methods on the two different manfacturers APs. Make sure they are the same. IE. If WPA with 802.1x, make sure the key size is the same. If WPA2 make sure both use TKIP or both use AES. You can't intermix them.

I was also having the same issue and it almost always boiled down to outdated drivers, however being that my environment consists of mostly Press connecting to our wireless we are not allowed to touch their laptops. And the knee-jerk response by every reporter was, "It works everywhere else I go just not here." Well come to find out that in most arenas there is no wireless authentication and there was no encryption which made it easier for clients with outdated drivers to connect, so as a workaround I created a hidden ssid with no encryption and no authentication, and when these problems arose I would just have the client create a profile so they could connect to the hidden profile.

Not sure if this is best practice but it has worked for me.

I've seen these issues in the early days of my WLAN deployment, about 5 years ago now. I identified two major issues, the wireless chipset the notebook uses (stay away from Intel), and the Windows Zero Configuration Client.(use a third party client like Juniper's Odyssey)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card