cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSID limitation

danhosking
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client with an existing autonomous wireless network. We are looking at ways to keep the existing SSIDs ( they currently have 18 and this will grow in the future ). They are looking at migrating to an LWAPP solution but we are running into difficulty with the 16 SSID limit on the 4404 WLC. They will be running approx 5 SSIDs on any given AP. Is there a way to create more SSIDs on the WLC and assign them to groups of APs?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

About the only thing you can do is have multiple controllers with different SSIDs configured. Then assign access points to the appropriate controller to obtain the SSIDs they need.

You can only create 16 SSIDs per controller, though. It's a pain :/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

About the only thing you can do is have multiple controllers with different SSIDs configured. Then assign access points to the appropriate controller to obtain the SSIDs they need.

You can only create 16 SSIDs per controller, though. It's a pain :/

Yeah this is the same conclusion I came to. Apparently there is a feature in 5.2 that may help with this limitation.

Yeah... what I know it that 5.2 will allow you to create more that 16 ssid's, the ap is the deciding factor on how many ap's will be supported. We shall see if it actually comes out on 5.2.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Wow, can't wait for that.

I'll give Cisco credit - they seem to be constantly knocking down the annoying barriers that exist in LWAPP. First the 8-SSID limit, then the 3 H-REAP limit, and now maybe more SSIDs.

Yeah right... I know this was due to situations where clients had more than 16 ssid's throughout their campus.... but again... lets see if it cames out and how stable the code will be. Again, this is suppose to combine the mesh train also.... so that means more code!

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card