cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SSID on FlexConnect versus Local mode APs???

gblomqvist
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

A collegue of mine and  I discussed the different ways we could deliver a SSID on a customers APs on their geographically different sites ...... 

• The customer have a WLC5508 (r7.6) and (mostly) AP1142.
  • All of the APs are in FlexConnect mode
  • Two SSIDs are centrally switched
  • One SSID are FlexConnect on all the sites with a local VLAN

Now we would like to deploy a new SSID which should be centrally switched on all the sites, except for one site ...  So the problem is that the SSID need support for FlexConnect for one site but should be centrally switched on all the other sites. And on these sites the APs are also in FlexConnect mode...

Is there a way to do this??? We have been looking around the settings for WLAN, APs, FlexConnect groups etc and cannot figure this out!

Best Regards

Göran Blomqvist

TDC

Sweden

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Please see the below link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11615876/multiple-sites-using-same-ssid-different-wlans

View solution in original post

Use an WLAN ID starting at 16...and it works for me..

****please rate if helpful****

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

How about creating two SSID profiles for the same SSID Name. One with WLAN-ID > 16 & configured it for FlexConnect local switching. Then create an AP group for the particular branch & map that SSID (the one with local switching) to that.

For other SSID  (without local switching) you can map to all other branch AP (if you have specific group). If you have ap in default-apgroup then as long as you choose WLAN ID < 16, it should be available in all other branches

Give it a try & see.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I would do the same like we do in our enviroment in the past..

create two SSID use the same config expect the flexconnect option u want to enable one time and one time not..

Hi,

I have try this configuration for a similar need but I get the following error when enabling the second SSID :

"WLAN with duplicate SSID and L2 security policy found"

Do you have a solution?

Regards,

Julien

Please see the below link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11615876/multiple-sites-using-same-ssid-different-wlans

Hi all!

Sorry for the (very) late response. Thanks for your replies, using a higher index worked. We have tested in lab and applied IRL.

BR

Göran

Use an WLAN ID starting at 16...and it works for me..

****please rate if helpful****

I have still the same problem.

I am using a WLC2504 version 8.0.110.0.

My need is to have the same SSID with the same L2 security on two sites : in FlexConnect mode on one site, in local mode on another.

When I create the second SSID in local mode, the higher index available is 16.

So I choose 16 and I get at the end of the config:

"WLAN with duplicate SSID and L2 security policy found"

Any idea?

The 2504 is limited to 16 WLAN's and of course WLAN ID 1-16.  There are only some specific reasons why you would need to run a duplicate SSID.  Are you running into an issue when you are trying to enable local switching on the WLAN that the controller is showing you an error that FlexConnect can't be enabled due to a something you need enabled?

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for your answer but I did not understand your last sentense.

The reason why I want to use duplicate SSID :

- in the headquarter : we use APs in local mode (e.g. for guests access)

- in subsidiaries : we use APs in FlexConnect mode (local swithing, no guest access)

So on your guest WLAN, enable FlexConnect Local Switching.  This way your local mode access points will still be centrally switched and the FlexConnect AP's, you define the WLAN to VLAN mapping.

-Scott

-Scott

Thanks, it works.

So a FlexConnect local switch SSID can work with an AP in local mode (centrally switched).

Yes that is right.

-Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card