Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Staging Cisco 1522

I will be staging Cisco 1522 in our Lab prior to deployment.  Exposure to the radiation of the antenna is bad for our body.  Any suggestion how I can stage a Cisco 1522 in a Lab environment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Staging Cisco 1522

Hi,

The easiest way is to lower the output power from the WLC.

So a cheap way would be :

-remove antennas (radiation pattern is then only 2-3 meters from AP usually)

-Join the AP to the WLC

-Once AP is joined, go in the wireless tab, radio section and manually configure the transmit power to be the lowest (highest number=lowest power so minimum is usually 7. 1 is the highest power)

Power level 7 is 1/128th of the max power if my calculations are correct.

From there you can put the antennas back and do all the tests you want as long as the APs are not too far from each other (same room should be ok).

If you want the profesionnal way, it would involve signal attenuators that you plug between AP and antenna so that you can lower the power or increase it at will.

Nicolas.

===

Please rate posts that you find useful

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The easiest way is to lower the output power from the WLC.

So a cheap way would be :

-remove antennas (radiation pattern is then only 2-3 meters from AP usually)

-Join the AP to the WLC

-Once AP is joined, go in the wireless tab, radio section and manually configure the transmit power to be the lowest (highest number=lowest power so minimum is usually 7. 1 is the highest power)

Power level 7 is 1/128th of the max power if my calculations are correct.

From there you can put the antennas back and do all the tests you want as long as the APs are not too far from each other (same room should be ok).

If you want the profesionnal way, it would involve signal attenuators that you plug between AP and antenna so that you can lower the power or increase it at will.

Nicolas.

===

Please rate posts that you find useful

Thanks a lot Nicolas.

Another question Nicolas, I've searched the internet and found this RF terminator specs.  Do you think I can use this RF terninator when staging the 1522?

Connector --      N-Type Male

Freq Range --    DC-18GHz

Impedance --     50 ohms

Input Power --    2 Watts

Cisco Employee

I just saw your other post about this :-) Replying on it as well.

Impedance is the good one (this is an important factor). The rest of the specs look good too.

Nicolas

===

Please rate answers that you find useful

The RF attenuator you specified is fine.

As previously stated, so long as the impedance is 50 ohms, and the wattage (ie: 2 watts) exceeds the capability of the transmitter then there is no problem.

Note : you can make this pretty easily... all you need is a 50 ohm, 2 watt resister.  Then solder it to the connector of your choice.  I have several 5 watt 50 ohm resisters, each with a different type of connector.

dennis.kline@yahoo.com
===========
It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber
==========

Like Dennis said the 50ohm impedance is required and the wattage is the factor that you have to watch.. as long as the wattage is higher than the maximum transmit power all is good... Dennis' idea is a great one, probably cheaper than a factor termination for lab purposes.

Views
Helpful
Replies