Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Strange Ad-hoc

We have a WLC 4404 witch 1131 AP's. On a few of them one of the ordinary SSID's is also sent as an Ad-hoc-SSID !

If I connect to the Ad-hoc-SSID and look at the client info in the WLC, the only info is:

Client MAC: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Client vendor: Intel

Port: 0

Mobility role: Unassociated

AP Type: Cisco AP

SSID: N/A

Association ID: 0

Reason Code: None

802.11 Authentication: OPENSYSTEM

Policy type: Unknown

Encryption Cipher: Unknown

EAP Type: Unknown

NAC State: Quarantine

All AP's are configured the same way.

Anyone seen this before?

2 REPLIES

Re: Strange Ad-hoc

My guess is that you are hit by "viral SSID" issue with Win XP SP2. Google search for the term to learn more about this.

The issue is that a client is setup in a wrong way, so the Win XP SP2 is setup to broadcast your SSID as ad-hoc. If a client near this computer sees it (and not your network) it will try to connect to the ad-hoc computer.

The only solution I found was to use GPO to push the profile to WZC and disable the clients possibilities to connect to ad-hoc network.

I never tried to look into the WLC for a status on hit clients, but I guess it could look like the one you are seeing (because of the similar SSID ??).

Re: Strange Ad-hoc

Well, it doesnt seems so. if I unplug the power to the accesspoint, the ad-hoc SSID dissapears.

Views
Helpful
Replies