Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange power problem with AIR-AP1231G

Hi,

I'm having the following issue with a couple of 1231's.

Some overall config info first:

This is a small office with 2x Catalyst 2950 (24-port, no PoE) switches and 4 AP1231G (autonomous). The APs get PoE from a PWRINJ3 each. The injectors are powered by the AP power supplies. Injectors and power supplies are mounted in the patch closet.

The 2 switches are connected together over 4 ports (20-23 on each switch), these ports are set to 1Q Trunk mode.

The APs are connected to the switches, 2 to each switch, on port 1-2. These ports again are configured as 1Q Trunk.

APs are connected to the switch as follows:

[switch] <- patch cable-> [injector] <- patch cable -> [patch panel] <- static cabling -> [outlet] <- patch cable -> [AP]

All this has been working without problems for a number of years.

A few weeks back, AP2 did not restart after a power cut (everything else did). All LEDs are off, port on switch has no LEDs lit. I did not get around to investigating this furtehr until last week. I unmounted (failed) AP2, took it to the spot where (working) AP3 hangs, and plugged it to the cable of AP3. AP2 came to life immediately. I unplugged it and plugged AP3 back in, which restarted immediately.

So I suspect a power supply issue on AP2. I took the injector and power supply that fed AP2 out of the patch closet. When connecting AP2 directly to the power supply, it came to life immediately. So I figure the injector is defective.

On the same day, I notice AP4 is also dead (again all LEDs off, no idea how long, could have been that day or could have been a few days - it has definitely been working after the power cut that appeared to have killed AP2).

So I order 2 new PWRINJ3s and for good measure 2 new power supplies. Later that day, I took the injector and power supply that fed AP4 out of the patch closet. When I try this combination (AP4, injector4 and P/S4), and connect it to a different wall outlet (and therefore a different port -16 - on the switch) IT WORKS!

Should have triggered questions, but did not immediately.

Last Thursday I got the new injectors and power supplies. So I take one of each, hook them upto AP2 at my desk, and AP2 starts up. So I mount new injector2 and new P/S2 in the patch closet, put AP2 back in its place, connect all the cables - NOTHING. AP2 does not start. The "power" LED on the injecvtor lights up green, the "device status" LED remains off. I take AP2, new injector2 and new P/S2 to my desk, hook them upto a wall outlet (connected to switch port 17). AP2 starts immediately.

Meanwhile AP3 has (also) stopped working (no LEDs on at all). As far as I can tell, it stopped working after I briefly disconnected (and reconnected) the patch cable between injector3 and the patch panel in the patch closet. The LEDs on switch port 1 are off.

I have since tried to power cycle both switches (took power off both, waited a while, poewerd both back on). No change.

Any ideas what could be causing this and what I can do to resolve it?

Thanks!

PS: the APs ran firmware 12.3(8)-JA until recently. AP1, AP3 and AP4 were upgraded to 12.3(8)-JEE after the the power cut that took AP2 out. THis is when I found out AP2 was dead. AP2 was still on 12.3(8)-JA. It was upgraded to 12.3(8)-JEE last week when it was on direct power on my desk.

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Strange power problem with AIR-AP1231G

Eelco,

If you put a known good working AP into the place where you normally have AP2 installed, does it work?

It sounds to me like the common denominator is your static, in-wall plant cabling.

Justin

3 REPLIES

Eelco,

If you put a known good working AP into the place where you normally have AP2 installed, does it work?

It sounds to me like the common denominator is your static, in-wall plant cabling.

Justin

Strange power problem with AIR-AP1231G

Justin,

Thanks - that is what it looks like, but I'm always a little suspicious of blaming static components that have not been changed or touched :-) Usually there is a more obvious (to the expert) mistake elsewhere.

However, I just did the following:
For AP3, I checked injector and power supply in patch closet. No LEDs were lighted on the injector. Replaced injector and P/S by new ones, and replaced the patch cabling (from switch to injector, and from injector to patch panel) with brand new cables. Power LED on injector lights up, the device status LED does not.

So I took the P/S out and connected it directly to AP3, which starts right away. In the patch closet, patched the switch directly to the patch panel (by-passing the injector). Switch port remains dark, AP3 has middle LED blinking continuously. AP3 remains unaccessible.

That pretty much leaves the static cable as the cause.

Now I just have to figure out why 3 cables that have been laying still for years all of a sudden decided to quit working in a short period of time.....

It will be a while before I get the cabling replaced and am able to validate this 100%.

Thanks,

Eelco.

Eelco,

If you have a more recent Cisco gig switch, you can run a TDR on the lines to locate the failure.

Justin

... typd on tny kybrd.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content