cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sudden drop from Excellent to No Signal

Mehuge111
Level 1
Level 1

I am a new Cisco user so forgive me if this seems obvious.

Cisco 851W. Situated in my house, with my laptop 6-7ft away from it. It's been connected all night and all day showing Excellent signal strength then all of a sudden I notice (because a baloon in XP told me) that signal strength dropped to None.

Running network stumbler shows a SNR 96 (which is good I believe) noise -200, signal -114.

Network connections are dropping out now every few minutes, but I am not seeing anything in the router log however, so I believe its still connected / associated with the AP.

I havnt yet tried rebooting the router or laptop, as I wondered if there is a way I can work out whats happened / monitor the situation, although I will probably have to because its too unrelaible atm.

Any ideas as to whats going on? Things I should check for?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

plandobait
Level 1
Level 1

851W which is b/g...do you have a 2.4GHz cordless phone sitting next to you? Don't forget microwaves, baby monitors, wireless camera's, etc can interfere.

Living in an apartment (I know you said house) can be nasty to wireless as you can have people on all sides of you (close proximity) throwing interference.

When you use Net Stumbler, are you pickig up additional nearby networks on the same channel as yours?

If all this seems cool, try updating your wireless nic driver.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card