cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestions for high density client areas

ckelly
Level 1
Level 1

I've had a request to provide classroom wireless access - on the order of 150 laptops in a room taking online exams. We have boxes of 1230s and a nice 4402 WLC but that all seems a bit inadequate to handle this request. There is a single 1230 in this particular room (of 4 in the building) and I'm going to add two more to the room with some wall mount flat antennas but I don't think that's going to get 'er all done. And there's another class room that will likley get the 1/2 or better of the same load and it's only about 60' away. It'll be all about G radios because I'm sure none of these students (or a very small percentage) have N equipment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

tkhan
Level 1
Level 1

Use 1240AGs, dual radios. I have lots of training rooms and found that 3 dual band radio APs in the coverage area were adequate. It all depends on the nature of the traffic, ie. bandwidth per trainee used.

That got me to thinking - maybe N is not a bad idea. The 1250 is a step up from the 1240 and the increased channel size might be of more benefit. And since this particular division is pretty much demanding a solution, the solution may require that the users also step up.

We deal with this a lot. Radio placement is key. You can use "bags of water" - people to help with signal containment. If you build zones for 2.4 and keep your radios low, you can accommodate a lot more people in a given area. You can also backfill with some 802.11a only radios as well to a certain degree.

We use a combination of 1252s and 1242s.

The 1252s are nice for sheer performance and the 1242s are nice for directional signal. We have seen the 1242s handle large loads as well.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: