cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host xxxx.xxxx.xxxx in vlan Y is flapping between port Fa3/0/47 and port Fa3/0/48

korenne86
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

New to this forum and having a slight issue that I dont know how to fix.

I am using a Cisco 2106 WLC running software version                 7.0.235.0. It has two ports configured.

Port 2 as ap-manager and goes to 3750 Switch Port 3/0/47

Port 8 as management and goes to 3750 Switch Port 3/0/48

Both ports are in the same vlan on the switch and there is no trunking setup, access ports.

On the switch I am constantly seeing this in the logs. It is the only MAC address flapping, none of the client ones are doing it and looks to be one of the MAC addresses of the WLC itself.

Aug 14 23:45:55: %SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host 588d.0993.2ee0 in vlan 901 is flapping between port Fa3/0/47 and port Fa3/0/48

Now as far as I can find, the 2106 doesnt support LAG and there is no option in the GUI to enable/disable it. Any ideas on how to stop these messages from occurring?

Apart from this message, all the clients are working correctly with only a slight 2 second freeze every now and then when say using RDP session over the wireless.

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, the 2106 does not support LAG.  It's desinged to have the management and ap-manager be on the same port.

If you move the interfaces to be on the same port, it should stop the mac flap messages.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

The 2106 is not recomended to be conencted to the same switch or different switches since it does not support LAG.

Here is the best practice on how to connect the 2106 to the network.

I just added the document to my documents so you can check on the 2106 WLC best practice

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Since the WLC has 2 ports connected to the same switch on the same VLAN and the WLC does not support LAG what the WLC will be doing is sending the traffic out on both ports and the switch will be getting them and this would be generating the expected error that you are getting.

In this case to stop the error configure the AP manager and managment interface to use the same port of the WLC and then only connect this port to the switch and make sure that the port on the switch.

Thanks for the help guys, I have moved both interfaces to the one physical port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card