cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Symbol MC9090 Scan Guns- 2602i AP's/5508

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

We have used the Symbol Scan guns for quite some time on our wireless networks.  Recently we upgraded a location that had Cisco 1242 AP's, to the newer 2602i model.  The controller is a 5508 on version 7.3, and the access points are operating in FlexConnect mode. 

Since upgrading to the 2602i AP's. we have had many issues with the Symbol MC9090 scan guns.  They appear to be roaming very frequently between AP's servicing this area.  At first we thought it was coverage, and added more access points.  We are still seeing the same problems.  The signal strength fluctuates on the scan gun from excellent to poor very often, and I notice packets getting dropped during this process.

The application runnig on the scan gun will halt, and either normailze or cause the device to have to be completely reset.  These problems were not happenng before we upgraded to the new model of AP.  I have read the document Cisco published concerning best practices for Symbol/Motorola scanners and controller based networks, but that is fairly old and out of date.  We do have CCKM, Aironet IE, and Band Select enabled on this WLAN.  I assume I should probably disable these features but we have other scan guns using this same WLAN with no problems.  The biggest change was when we went from the 1242 to the 2602i.  During this change, we also moved also from a controller where the AP's were in local mode, to now the access points operating in Flex connecting to a central controller.  Latency between the AP's and the controller is not a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

17 Replies 17

Hi there

Have you been able to solve your problem? A customer of us are experiencing exactly the same issues.

What authentication / encryption are you using?

Thanks in advance and regards Dominic

We are doing EAP-TLS with WPA2/AES.  We modified the data rates which seemed to help.  Also, we upgraded to a newer Scan Gun Model (MC92N) which has 802.11n capabilities and that helped.  But ultimately, the fix was having the application modifed to be better suited for a wireless envrionement.  This incldued adjusting time-out settings in the app.

Steven Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

The cause is the software on the scanners. Call Zebra to get the latest Fusion software release for your device.

MC92N0

Below is an excerpt from the release notes stating a roam stickiness issue. I resolved this issue for model MC92N0 by installing FUSION_X_2.03.0.0.012R_MPA3_WM65.CAB

Release Notes - Windows Mobile 6.5 - Fusion X_2.02.0.0.016R – SPR25781

"Roam stickiness caused by state machine bug causing roam scans to fail. Device fails to roam to AP with good signal strength and stays connected to AP with very low signal strength."

https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra_new_ia/enus/software/utilities/fusion/Fusion-X_2.02.0.0.016R-For-Windows-Mobile-6.5-Release-Notes-SPR25781.htm

MC9190

The MC9190 has a bug fix for roaming too frequently. This software release fixes the issue: Fusion_3.00.2.0.025R_WM65.ARM.CAB

Release Notes - Windows Mobile 6.5 - Fusion 3.00.2.0.025R

"SPR 20363 – WLAN roams frequently in an environment where AP beacons are sent at 11 Mbps (i.e. the lowest basic rate on the AP is set to 11 Mbps)."

https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra_new_ia/enus/software/utilities/fusion/Fusion-3_00_2_0_025R-Windows-Mobile-6_5-Release-Notes.htm

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card