Views
Helpful
Replies

Third party antenna ( >6dBi) & AP1260 compatibility

balsheikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Any one had implemented AP1261 using third party 2.4Ghz antenna with power gain more than 6 dBi ?

I'm planning to use 18dBi Non Cisco antenna that support MIMO but I have found the note below on cisco N-antenna datasheet.. Technically i'm not convinced its not possible.

*Any antenna above 6 dBi is Not approved for use with Cisco Aironet 1260

Series, 3500e, and 3600e Series Access Point (must be 6 dBi or less)*

Any useful comments !!!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Your wireless connectin will not be optimal and may not work... 

Client talks at 40mW ---- Ap talks at 6400mW

You will have 1 way traffic .. Just becuase you can doesnt always mean you should.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

Why not !!

As George said.  You can but whether or not your solution will work or not is totally a different matter altogether.

And the answer to the question?  Sticking an 18 dBi antenna WILL NOT WORK.

Here's the logic:  Your client can hear the signal very, very well.  But when the clients send their signal back, the WAP won't hear it.  As George has stated, it's a one way traffic.

The only time you want to put an antenna that strong is when you want to do point-to-point or point-to-multipoint bridge.  Besides, you can stick an 18 dBi antenna but the WAP will only transmit up to 6 dBi. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

WOW, why so loud ?

If your AP is at 100mW and you add a 18dBi antenna your ERP is 6400mW .. Most clients only talk at 40 mw!

I also think that will exceed the FCC regulation as well ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Why not !!

Since cisco have already outdoor antenna with gain of 12 dBi but not "approved" as they claimed for AP1260, i believe not approved means not tested in their lab but practically if i connect third party antenna (18dBi) to AP1261 technically should work fine as i had done this exercise earlier with AP1242 and worked significantly fine..

Once it comes to regulation, its different subject

Your wireless connectin will not be optimal and may not work... 

Client talks at 40mW ---- Ap talks at 6400mW

You will have 1 way traffic .. Just becuase you can doesnt always mean you should.

Why not !!

As George said.  You can but whether or not your solution will work or not is totally a different matter altogether.

And the answer to the question?  Sticking an 18 dBi antenna WILL NOT WORK.

Here's the logic:  Your client can hear the signal very, very well.  But when the clients send their signal back, the WAP won't hear it.  As George has stated, it's a one way traffic.

The only time you want to put an antenna that strong is when you want to do point-to-point or point-to-multipoint bridge.  Besides, you can stick an 18 dBi antenna but the WAP will only transmit up to 6 dBi. 

mmm, make sense now.. Thx all for your valuable info

NOW ... if you do outdoor mesh and you have higher gain antennas but not 18 you will feel less pain ...

Keep in mind.. EVERY 3 dBi gain you double power.

AP @ 100mW + 3 dBi gain = 200mW (23 dBm)

AP @ 100mW + 6 dBi gain = 400mW (26 dBm)

Make sense?

i believe i have to use 6 dBi omni antenna and increase number of AP's, cost will increase accordingly but what to do since no alternatives are available !!!!

Yea, louder isnt always better .. I mean Leo designs his wifi networks with 100mw Aps + 20 dBm power injectors + 20 dBi antennas ! #imjustsaying

I mean Leo designs his wifi networks with 100mw Aps + 20 dBm power injectors + 20 dBi antennas ! #imjustsaying

30 dBi George.  30 dBi.

4-stack (25 element) yagi.

And don't forget my 2 kW signal amplifier. 

Thats why I see your network in Houston! LOL

Thats why I see your network in Houston! LOL

You can???

Oh cr@p, I think I need to tone down my amplifier. 

And thanks for rating our posts. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card