Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Throughput barrier for 3.3 miles ?

Hi

I installed 4 340 Wireless Bridge for remote network access.

Two is connected via yagi antennas between 0.5 miles distance and one of these bridges in located in a tower and connected to another 340 Wireless Bridge via a hub and these brigge is connected to a parabolic dish with communicates to another dish from 3.3 miles distance and fourth bridge is connected this dish.

Here is my question?

After connection established i made bandwith and download tests beetween two connected networks connected by wireless equipments and couldnt pass

2.5 Mbit per second.

I runned signal test via Bridges's web management interface and i got app %75 signal quality level and %60 signal strength level beetween yagi's and %60

signal quality level and %50 signal strength level beetween 3 dishes...

Techology supports up to 11Mbit/s but is it possible

to get app 4 or 5 Mbit/s bandwidth in this case.

Thanks in advance

• Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects
1 REPLY

Re: Throughput barrier for 3.3 miles ?

For preinstallation calculations, you should consult the Bridge Antenna Calculation tool at http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/us-calc.xls

There's also a document on Cisco.com about the errors on a bridge and how to interpret them at http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/102/errors.html

However, given that you only have 50% signal strength and 60% signal quality on some of these links, I would imagine that environment is what's causing you trouble. Some sites where there is a great deal of radio interference around simply are not good candidates for wireless. That is the major reason why wireless resellers are supposed to survey sites before deploying the hardware.

Views
Helpful
Replies