cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

time server for wireless

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

How do the access points in a mesh network accept time from a ntp server or is it manual.

We have ntp server configured on the wireless controller. there are about 7 mesh access points connected.Will all of them get the time via ntp server from the controller or has something to be configured manually on these access points.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need only to configure the NTP on the WLC. The access points will take the time automatically.

It worths to say that APs do not show timezone differences/shifts from UTC. APs will always show UTC time.

For example, if your WLC is +4 hours from UTC, your WLC would show the clock as 13:00 but the AP will show 9:00 (UTC time and not your local timezone time).

With autonomous APs, when you configure sntp the logs still appear with UTC time until you configure the logs to use the local time.

Look at this about how to configure NTP on WLC:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_gettingstarted.html#wp1144345

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need only to configure the NTP on the WLC. The access points will take the time automatically.

It worths to say that APs do not show timezone differences/shifts from UTC. APs will always show UTC time.

For example, if your WLC is +4 hours from UTC, your WLC would show the clock as 13:00 but the AP will show 9:00 (UTC time and not your local timezone time).

With autonomous APs, when you configure sntp the logs still appear with UTC time until you configure the logs to use the local time.

Look at this about how to configure NTP on WLC:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/cg_gettingstarted.html#wp1144345

HTH

Amjad

thanks. I configured ntp server on the controller. However i noticed that the ntp server is not reachable from the controller.

But if i try to source ping with correct vlan, the ntp ip from the same switch as the controller , the ping is successful.

Within the controller it doesn't work. and the AP's also don't seem to get the correct time from the controller.

Appreciate your help.

This changes the problem description to the NTP server not reachable from controller. right?

Is the ntp vlan allowd on the ports connected to the controller? Is all parameters configured correctly?

APs (as i told you) will show UTC time if timezone delta is configured.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card