Views
Helpful
Replies

two controllers, but both are RF leader

erwee1973
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a little issue while I configure 2 Cisco 2504 wlan controllers with 9 AP's (1142) in the same subnet.

Everything works okay, e.g. mobility groups, association of AP's to the two controllers.

However, when I leave RF group mode to auto, both controllers become RF group leader. When I set it to static leader on the first controller and I enter the second controllers' ip adres, it says 'invalid ip'

Anyone knows what can be wrong? The RF group names are identical.

With kind regards,

Ralph Willemsen

network engineer

Arnhem, Netherlands

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Keep in mind, you need to have access points on each controller and these 2 aps need to hear each other.

If 1 controller has aps and number 2 doesn't, both controller will show as leaders.

If both controllers have aps, but the aps are far apart and can't see the rrm packet sent from each ap every 60 seconds they will both show a leaders.

If both controllers have aps and these aps see each others rrm packets, the lowest controller Mac address is picked as the leader.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you leave it auto, are there AP on both the WLC that can bear each other?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Ralph,

I tried it. I get same as you in the beginning, Invalid IP. However, after couple of minutes that disappears and things look fine.

Are you still seeing same issue? or the problem disappeared?

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Keep in mind, you need to have access points on each controller and these 2 aps need to hear each other.

If 1 controller has aps and number 2 doesn't, both controller will show as leaders.

If both controllers have aps, but the aps are far apart and can't see the rrm packet sent from each ap every 60 seconds they will both show a leaders.

If both controllers have aps and these aps see each others rrm packets, the lowest controller Mac address is picked as the leader.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Oh and since I'm on the topic of rrm packets. Note: the rrm packet is sent at the lowest mandatory rate and the highest tx power REGARDLESS of how your mandatory rate or ap power is configured ..

Thanks a lot all. It works now, great! (and a happy customer :-)

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Excellent .. Thanks for supporting the rating system .. Trying to catch up to Leo )

If you have any other questions stop back !

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card