Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

two floor equipment

Hi all,

I need a wireless solution for my office (two floors). My clients should login using an authorization web page, so I have to give them username and password. Can you suggest me the cisco products that I need?

Thank you

2 REPLIES

Re: two floor equipment

Instead of a web page, how about using RADIUS authentication? If you want a web page it requires a special product and Cisco no longer carries an SMB model. THere are others out there, however I *think* RADIUS will work for you. What are all your requirements?

Bronze

Re: two floor equipment

Hey George,

You could use a 2000 Access Controller that controls up to six AP's for this type of service. If you do not need to provide "guest" type of services, I would use WPA with 802.1X. This would require wireless clients that support WPA, and 802.1X client (refered to as a supplicant) this is built into to XP and Mac OSX, however, on XP it provides no accounting, so if you need it for tracking ((SOX, GLB, HIPPA)) then you need to look at a seperate X client.

Now the trade off is roaming ability and complexity. AP to AP hand off is not as smooth as with a controller (like the 2000) and the above solution requires you to touch every wireless client.

With a 2000, you need the controller, some thin AP's and a few hours to read the manual or hire consultant and it's wireless time!

Personally, I like the thin based model better. It saves so much time in troubleshooting, auditing and configuration. So now I have more time to test our bandwidth watching CiscoTV.... Just to make sure it's enough.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content