cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

two HREAPs doing CCKM fast roaming, do they need to be on the same WLC?

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

while playing around with HREAP groups and CCKM fast roaming, I noticed an issue.

I'm running latest 4.2 MD on two 2106 controllers. First, I configured two HREAPs to use the same primary WLC. I configured a locally switched SSID with WPA+CCKM+LEAP. I also configured an HREAP group with both HREAPs in it. My 7921 is associated to one of the HREAPs. I'm doing central auth + local switching. I make a phone call, listen to audio and watch my neighbor list on 7921. I walk from one HREAP to the other, it successfully CCKM fast roams to the other HREAP and I hear smooth audio without any drops. I also tested local auth + local switching. Same behavior, CCKM fast roam and no drops.

Next, I go back to central auth + local switching and I configure 2nd HREAP to use 2nd controller as primary. HREAP joins the 2nd controller. I make sure that SSID, HREAP groups and Mobility Group name are identical on the 2nd controller. I make a phone call and watch my neighbor list. I walk from one HREAP to the other, it tries to roam, but I get "authentication error" on the phone. It doesn't roam and stays on the first HREAP. Same thing happens if I switch to local auth + local switching. If I disconnect and reconnect to the SSID, it successfully authenticates to the second HREAP. So something is wrong with HREAP CCKM fast roaming when two controllers are involved.

So the question is, is there a requirement for HREAPs from one remote site to use the _same_ primary controller if you want CCKM fast roaming to work?

Thanks!

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card