Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Two lightning arrestor part numbers

What is the difference between AIR-ACC3354 and AIR-ACC245LA-R? The price is the same and I am wondering what should I purchase. The intended usage is simple - a 1310 bridge with external antenna that needs to be protected from the lightning strikes.

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Green

Re: Two lightning arrestor part numbers

I can't see much difference. they're both kits, both go to 5850MHz, both are RP-TNC in and out.

There aren't any real good pictures, perhaps one is a bulkhead mount and the other only has a grounding lug.

References to that effect are the only difference in the text I found ... nothing very clear though.

BTW: Nothing that small is going to protect you from lightning. It will bleed some static from blowing dust/snow, it might save you from some pulse damage from a ~near hit ... if you get a direct hit, your network will fry .... all of it.

Your best protection is a segment of fiber between your network and the link to the external equipment.

Use of a 100BASE-TX to 100BASE-FX converter with a segment of fiber will completely isolate your network from the dangerous elements (through the antenna cable .... power may be a different issue).

If I can find anything else, I'll post it up.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks for the detailed post.

Today I saw one other difference in the explanation of these arrestors. 3354 is the arrestor with "EMP grounding ring" - apart from the grounding lug that both products have. But how it's installed - beats me.

About the fiber isolation method - that's already taken care of, but thanks anyway. :)

Green

The grounding ring would be used for the bulkhead mount.

The bulkhead is frequently a copper plate that the arrestor fits into (kind of like a spark plug). Instead of grounding directly to the arrestor, you ground the feedthrough plate and it can handle the grounding for multiple feeds.

FWIW

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies