cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to load CLI post Upgrade

knightarmco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I currently have 4 Cisco Aironet 1131 AGs setup for my company's wireless network. For some time we were having random network drops which we eventualy came to out only lead being one of our Access Points was using a different software version and would drop, when it did it would cut the network in half until connection was restablished.

So our plan was to simply upgrade all 4 APs software to the latest version so they would match, it was figured the software upgrade would probably be a wise idea anyway. The other 3 APs are still up and running smoothly, however; the one with the different software version was removed from the network to upgrade. We do not have a seperate WLC all wireless functionality is controlled by the Access points (One runs in AP mode the others as repeaters, please advise if this is a bad setup as to what would be recommended.)

Anyway now to my problem. I attempted to do the software upgrade via a hard line through the web utility (prior to reading that that was a bad idea) and now I cannot login to the access point Web or CLI. The AP seems to be stuck in some form of infinite loop and the IPSU.exe utility does not seem to be able to pull it's new IP (if it got one) So I cannot connect to the AP at all to try and fix it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to access the access point to remedy this problem, as well as advice in regards to my current network configuration?

(current network config is WEP security, (wanted WPA but we have some propriatry devices that do not support it), One AP actualy runs as an Access Point the other two as repeaters only the Ap running as an Access Point has a hardline to it. The APs do not have DHCP running, however; the AP I'm working on is on a branch running DCHP (we use VLANs) any suggestions?)

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Eric,

Just a short comment on your current setup (I am sure others will weigh in like Scott, Stephen, Eric or John). I think a WLC is a great way to go, it makes management and upgrades like this so much easier. Upgrade the WLC and shazam! your AP's are upgraded as well. Your current investment in the 1131's is not lost as they can be converted to run LWAPP :) As far as repeater mode goes, your throughput is cut in half with every step (bummer!) Here is a method to recover the dead AP......

Using the MODE button

You can use the MODE button on 1100 and 1200 series access points to reload the access point image file from an active Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server on your network or on a PC connected to the access point Ethernet port.

This process resets all configuration settings to factory defaults, including passwords, WEP keys, the access point IP address, and SSIDs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow these steps to reload the access point image file:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 The PC you intend to use must be configured with a static IP address in the range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1100-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated. For additional information, refer to the "Obtaining the Access Point Image File" and "Obtaining TFTP Server Software" sections.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1100-k9w7-tar.default for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds), and release the MODE button.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web-browser interface or the CLI.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801d0188.html#wp1040300

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

I agree with Rob. The best course of action here, is to recover the AP with the method described above. It will load the image, and you will have a clean config to work from.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks, It worked out well had some little quirks had to kick past nothing a few minor setting changes couldn't fix. Anyway, While I've got the attention I had a problem when I first started working here where all the Access Points were setup as Access Points and would drop at random (was believed there was conflict between them) Which was the reason I pushed the Access Points to function as Repeaters... I am informed each jumped cuts the speed of the Access Points in Half (AKA 54Mbps first Jump 27Mbps second etc.) Could the Access Points have been conflicting? (all are Aironet 1131AGs)

What would you recommend, it ain't broke don't fix it? or Try to push them back to APs?

A repeater will cut the throughput in half (it has to receive the traffic, then transmit it ... APs don't transmit and receive at the same time).

The problem could very well have been interference, channel overlap, weak spots, bad client software, crap antennas (client or AP), multipath ... anything offered would be pure speculation without a site survey.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card