Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade from a 4402 to Viirual Controller

karlsenken
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I have a question about how to get Lightweigt AP from a wlc 4402-25 controller to a new viritual Controller.

Becouse when I am shutting down the old controller the AP's don't connect to the new Controller.

So do I have to upgrade every AP to new software release?                  

4 Replies 4

Are these two controller in same mobility group ? It is required to learn the new WLC mgt IP via mobility messages.

Otherwise you have is to configure DHCP  option 43 (or any other mechanism to discover WLC mgt IP by AP) with new controller management address for AP mgt dhcp pools. Then reboot the AP while your old controller shutdown. Then AP shoud find the new WLC & register with it

HTH

Rasika

I've tried it. However, access points will not connect to the new controller. Do I need to upgrade the firmware to access points before they can connect to the new controller? When there is a major leap forward from the old 4402 to the virtual?

What is the vWLC version you running & the AP model you are trying to register. Get the AP console output & post here while you are registering an AP to this new controller.

Rasika

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The vWLC must be running v7.3 or newer and the 4400's only support v7.0.x. Make sure that the AP's you have on the WLC is supported on the code you have on the vWLC. Also note that APs that need to join the vWLC need to be primed in a WLC running v7.3 or later or else the AP's need to have the latest rcv image uploaded to them.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Take a look at the Troubleshooting section

http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/113677/virtual-wlan-dg-00.pdf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card