cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading firmware on a WLC

laxcis
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to consider upgrading the firmware on my 4400 WLC from version 4 to version 5, but wondering what the steps would involve on doing this. Is it a major project to do, or is it fairly simple? I've been having issues with my AP's finding the wrong controller and read that the new firmware version has a better GUI and easier to fix this problem. I can open a case up with TAC on how to do this if it's too intensive to do over these forums. Thanks.

-Ryan

2 Replies 2

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would not consider going to 5.x.... just my opinion though. 4.2.130 is stable and 4.2.176 fixes issues if you have 1252's. The 5.x in which has an option for high availability is to allow ap's a higher priority than others when you have a wlc failure and you don't have enough wlc to handle all the access points. If you plan on going with 5.x, stay away from 5.0. Upgrading will take time but is simple once you get a process down.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

fella5 is right.

You are faced with two options:

1. Upgrade the firmware and the boot firmware (before you do, please refer to the Guidelines for Upgrading Controller Software: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5.2/configuration/guide/c52mfw.html#wp1046424); or

2. Use the CLI (config ap primary-base ) on the WLC to force each AP to associate to the primary/secondary/tertiary controllers

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: