cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading my WISM modules

Maurice Ball
Level 3
Level 3

I am in the process of upgrading my Wism modules on my Catalyst 6513. I currently have two Wism modules installed in the Cat6K5 and I plan on replacing them with two new Wism 2 modules. I currently have two available slots on my Cat6K5 to install the two new Wism 2 modules. My plan is to create a mobility group that will include all Wism modules.  After I create the mobility group I will migrate all the access points from the old Wism modules to the new Wism 2 modules. Once that is completed I will remove the old Wism modules from the Cat6K5. The only way I know how to accomplish this is to manually set the primary controller on the High Availability tab of each access point. My question is; is there a way to move a large number of access points from one WLC to a new one without having to manually set the primary controller on the High Availability tab of each access point?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WiSM-1 can support 300 APs while WiSM-2 can support up to 1000 APs.

Put the WiSM-2 in the spare slot and configure it up.  Move all your APs from two of your WiSM-1 to the new WiSM-2.

You can move all your APs from WiSM-1 to WiSM-2 in a few methods:

1.  You specifically configure EACH AP to move to the new controller;

2.  Get NCS/PI to do it for you;

3.  On the WiSM-1, go to Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration > High Availability and enter the Primary WLC details.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Only if you have NCS and can push a template.  Other than that you could use the CLI to pull the AP names and then create a CLI script to set the primary.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

thanks

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WiSM-1 can support 300 APs while WiSM-2 can support up to 1000 APs.

Put the WiSM-2 in the spare slot and configure it up.  Move all your APs from two of your WiSM-1 to the new WiSM-2.

You can move all your APs from WiSM-1 to WiSM-2 in a few methods:

1.  You specifically configure EACH AP to move to the new controller;

2.  Get NCS/PI to do it for you;

3.  On the WiSM-1, go to Wireless > Access Points > Global Configuration > High Availability and enter the Primary WLC details.

thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card