cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

URGENT help needed....Cisco 3502i - change IOS from AIR-CAP3502I-E-K9 to AIR-CAP3502I-C-K9

Little Bunny
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

We are trying to refresh the current IOS in our 3502i APs from version E to C. The instructions we were given were as follows:

• •1. Console to AP
  • •2. Use command to manually assign IP address

AP#capwap ap ip address <IP address> <subnet mask>

• •3. Connect AP to a switch, connect PC to the same switch with same subnet as AP.
  • •4. Run TFTP server on the PC,
  • •5. Put the new firmware into TFTP server folder.
  • •6. Use command at AP to download new firmware

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://a.a.a.a/xxxxxxxx.xxx (xxxxxx if the firmware file name) (a.a.a.a is the PC with TFTP server IP)

The first problem encountered is that the 'archive' command doesnt seem to exist on the 3502i. We also tried the 'upgrade' command but get a response that the command is not recognised (even though it is in the list of commands).

We then based our attempts on the instructions in the following link:

http://samswireless.blogspot.com/2011/01/surveying-with-3502-followup-post.htmlhttp://samswireless.blogspot.com/

However when it gets to step 3 we get the following error:

[process_config_recovery: set IP address and config to default 10.0.0.1
process_config_recovery: image recovery
image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g1-k9w7-tar.default

examining image...
%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g1-k9w7-tar.default (connection timed out)
ap: ]

I cannot ping the AP from the PC when in this mode. The IP address on the PC is 10.0.0.2 /24.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Thanks

Amy

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Amy,

The ap will pull its code from the WLC so that it is on the correct image. As for the regulatory domain, the E to C, this can't be changed, it's a cookie written into,the EPROM in the AP

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

The only code you can put on these is the rcv or recovery code.  You will not be able to change the country code because this is set from the factory.  If you need an AIR-CAP3502I-C-K9, then you will need to rma the other ap for the one you require.  This ap is a lightweight ap and requires a wlc. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Amy,

Those AP's are light weight. If you are trying to add them to a wlc, you can add the country domain on the wlc. You can't change the country domain though from the AP.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Hi Scott

Thanks for the response. Is it not possible to put a different IOS code on these devices? The AP does attempt to open the default file but there's just not a connection to the PC after holding down the mode button while powering up.

Thanks

Amy

Amy,

The ap will pull its code from the WLC so that it is on the correct image. As for the regulatory domain, the E to C, this can't be changed, it's a cookie written into,the EPROM in the AP

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only code you can put on these is the rcv or recovery code.  You will not be able to change the country code because this is set from the factory.  If you need an AIR-CAP3502I-C-K9, then you will need to rma the other ap for the one you require.  This ap is a lightweight ap and requires a wlc. 

-Scott

OK, thank you both for the help and explanation. We'll RMA the devices. Thanks

RMA through Cisco, is only going to get you the same AP that you already have.. You would be better served to go back to the VAR that you got the AP from, and have the, get you the correct ones.

HTH,
Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card