cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use of 5508 WLC across the WAN as MC for unified access

Amandeep Mann
Level 1
Level 1

I came accross a remark that Cisco 5508 cannot be used for a MC role/functionality accross the WAN for Cisco 3850/3650 switches in the branch locations (acting as MA). The reason was some 10 ms transit time limits,..But i could not find any such mention in any of the documentation...Does any user have some link to this or perhaps a practical implemention experience.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

From CA design perspective, it is making no sense to put a MC at a central office for a branch MA switch stacks. Typically a branch you may have 1 SPG & you better off MA/MC functionality within the same SPG.

If you have more than one SPG at your branch, then it is good idea to have a discrete controller at branch to do MC functionality (inter SPG roaming to be handled by MC). Instead,  if you keep MC at central office these user roaming decision will be taking un-acceptable amount of time depend on the WAN link propagation delays.

Refer BRKCRS-2889-Converged Access System Architecture

Here are two snapshots from above presentation to explain this

HTH

Rasika

Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

From CA design perspective, it is making no sense to put a MC at a central office for a branch MA switch stacks. Typically a branch you may have 1 SPG & you better off MA/MC functionality within the same SPG.

If you have more than one SPG at your branch, then it is good idea to have a discrete controller at branch to do MC functionality (inter SPG roaming to be handled by MC). Instead,  if you keep MC at central office these user roaming decision will be taking un-acceptable amount of time depend on the WAN link propagation delays.

Refer BRKCRS-2889-Converged Access System Architecture

Here are two snapshots from above presentation to explain this

HTH

Rasika

Pls rate all useful responses ****

Thanks,  Rasika

And unfortunately,cause of this newer unified approach and absence of any CVD's yet, it  is becoming a little complex  to figure few things ..i.e. the core switches (i.e. 4500-x) does not support Unified access, and if you do not have a stack of user access switches, then you probably need two switches acting as MC/MA in a branch for HA purpose..Also no idea about the impact on switch resources (esp. on Cisco 3650's) when running in combined MC/MA mode , or do we need to dedicate two siwtches just for MC role?

Also now it might futher bring a need to localise the authentication components (i.e. Cisco ACS/any ISE piece )  too, in branches.

100% agree with you. There is no single CVD on this & that does not help at all moving forward in this path.

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: