Replies

Using 2 1552 bridges for high availability

Timothy Burns
Level 1
Level 1

Switches: 3560

routers: 2811

AP: 1552e

We have 4 1552 AP's that we would like to setup in a point to point environment. Currently they are light weight but we would make them autonomous for this scenario, unless there is a feature in the controller that would accomplish what we need that I dont know about.

We would like to set them up in pairs on each side with the 1st goal of having high availablity so if one goes down there is still connectivity. Our second goal would be to utilize both AP's for higher bandwidth.

I was thinking of trying to setup a port channel, but as I have read, you can't do this but let me know if I am wrong. I saw where someone else was trying to do the same thing in the forums and there were some answers given, but the links arent working for me.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/products_tech_note09186a0080736199.shtml <----- doesn't work for me

Just looking be pointed in the best direction. It seems that routing should take care of what we need but would like to see if there are any other avenues.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The best thing you can do is setup each P2P connection as a trunk and use spanning tree vlan priority to help load balance the traffic between the two links.  You can't really bundle, because the bridge that sends the traffic will expect that traffic to come back through it.  This is the best way to utilize both bridges as this is how it was done in the past and how its pretty much still done.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The best thing you can do is setup each P2P connection as a trunk and use spanning tree vlan priority to help load balance the traffic between the two links.  You can't really bundle, because the bridge that sends the traffic will expect that traffic to come back through it.  This is the best way to utilize both bridges as this is how it was done in the past and how its pretty much still done.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the answer. In your opinion would this option be better then using EIGRP or is it pretty much a toss up?

Thanks

Tim

We have done routing on the ports also... so its really a toss up.  You can still load balance using EIGRP so really which ever your comfortable with I would say.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card