cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using WLAN 1200 Series Access Point as a bridge.

trevor.codner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I work in the education sector & are looking at implementing a campus solution using the Aironet 1200 series access point.

School One: Site One

We currently have a 2621 router feeding a 2mb sycro broadband link into a primary school, Within the school we have 2 seperate VLAN's one for curriculum & one for admin traffic, they are broken out from the router using a 2950-12 port one is the trunk port to the router then 1st 5 ports are admin / second 5 ports are curriculum.

School1 Site2:

Standard Cat5 wired network, with both admin & curriculum IP ranges on the same wire. Would like to put a 1200 access point here and another 1200 access point at site one & have it carry both IP ranges too & from site1 where the broadband link is located.

Question? does the 1200 series act as a trunk across the wireless link & would I get away with one access point at each end or would I require an acess point per IP range, Site 2 has no cisco switches, it only has a dlink std switch, would ideally like to plug in and configure the access points & all would work, have read the cisco config guide, but seem to be having a bad day as it's not going in!!

Any help or guidance would be great!

Thanks Trev

1 Reply 1

kmarrero
Level 4
Level 4

The access points are in no way bridges and cannot be configured to work as a bridge. The maximum indoor range is 350ft. @1 mbs for the 2.4 GHz and 170 ft. @ 6 mbs for the 5 GHz cards. The maximum outdoor range is 2000 ft. @ 1 mbs for the 2.4 GHz. and 1000 ft. @ 6 mbs for the 5 GHZ cards. This is all under the most perfect conditions. One other thing that prevents the access point as being like a bridge is that once you configure an access point as a repeater it disables the ethernet port which would prevent you from plugging it into a switch. Here is a URL with the range specifications on it. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/airo1200.htm#ov

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card