Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Using WLAN 1200 Series Access Point as a bridge.

Hi All

I work in the education sector & are looking at implementing a campus solution using the Aironet 1200 series access point.

School One: Site One

We currently have a 2621 router feeding a 2mb sycro broadband link into a primary school, Within the school we have 2 seperate VLAN's one for curriculum & one for admin traffic, they are broken out from the router using a 2950-12 port one is the trunk port to the router then 1st 5 ports are admin / second 5 ports are curriculum.

School1 Site2:

Standard Cat5 wired network, with both admin & curriculum IP ranges on the same wire. Would like to put a 1200 access point here and another 1200 access point at site one & have it carry both IP ranges too & from site1 where the broadband link is located.

Question? does the 1200 series act as a trunk across the wireless link & would I get away with one access point at each end or would I require an acess point per IP range, Site 2 has no cisco switches, it only has a dlink std switch, would ideally like to plug in and configure the access points & all would work, have read the cisco config guide, but seem to be having a bad day as it's not going in!!

Any help or guidance would be great!

Thanks Trev

1 REPLY
Bronze

Re: Using WLAN 1200 Series Access Point as a bridge.

The access points are in no way bridges and cannot be configured to work as a bridge. The maximum indoor range is 350ft. @1 mbs for the 2.4 GHz and 170 ft. @ 6 mbs for the 5 GHz cards. The maximum outdoor range is 2000 ft. @ 1 mbs for the 2.4 GHz. and 1000 ft. @ 6 mbs for the 5 GHZ cards. This is all under the most perfect conditions. One other thing that prevents the access point as being like a bridge is that once you configure an access point as a repeater it disables the ethernet port which would prevent you from plugging it into a switch. Here is a URL with the range specifications on it. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/airo1200.htm#ov

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content