Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan mapping lost when fail to secondary WLC

Pengfei Wang
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have two WLCs,The primary WLC mode 5508 ,running code is 7.4.100.60, The secondary WLC mode 4402,running code is 7.0.230.0.

When ap working on 5508 wlc,it use flexconnect mode, when ap working on 4402, it will h-reap mode

ap mode:1242、1142.

question:

When ap fail to secondary WLC(4402),some ap will lost their vlan mapping information.not all of ap.  during fail over, ap will doanloading firmware.

is there any way to solve? thanks!

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Pengfei,

Actually this isnt a support design. Cisco advises your primary and backup controllers are on the same code.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

dear George

WLC 4402 can only upgrade to 7.0.xxx.xx

to manage 2600 series ap,WLC 5508 must upgrade to a newer version.

I'm sorry i didn't make a detail description, there are some 2600 series of AP on 5508, these APs needn't to fail over.

I understand. Two controllers, two different code levels. 4400 is locked in at 7.0 code and you need 7.4 for the 2600 ap.

In your orginal post you state when aps fail over from one controller to the other you lose vlans and aps code upgrade/down grade. This is not a support deisgn. You cant properly failover betwen different code versions.

If you want them to stop failing over and clients dont roam from aps on controler to 1 to aps on controller 2, simple remove the controllers from the shared mobility group and put the controllers in their own group.

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

Adding to Georges post.  When doing FlexConnect/HREAP you want to make sure that on all the WLC the WLAN are in the same order.  FlexConnect is based on the WLAN ID, not the Profile Name.

If they are out of order then everytime they move between WLC they will need to be reconfigured.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

It is very much essential that your firmware will be same on both controller atleast ,if models are not same.

Logic is that AP get firmware/config from WLC and when versions are different they treat LAP differently and it start downgrading/upgrading on failover or failback.

So the END note is make the CODE same on both WLC and create mobility group then and test it before deploying it on actual environment ;)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: