Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

WAP 1252 and POE off a Cisco Cat 3560

Hello,

We just had our first shipment of Cisco Aironet AIR-LAP1252AG-A-K9 come in and are having issues with the units on Cisco Cat 3560 Switches. We have not been able to get the unit to bring up the the A, B, and G antennas when using the PoE provided by the Cat 3560 switch. We are not looking to use the N Anttena for now and only need A,B,& G active.

If I perform a show power inline command on the switch for the port that the WAP is connected to , it will show 15.4 w being pushed out to the WAP over the PoE port.

Will the 1252 WAP running A,B,&G not work on Cisco 3560 PoE switch if your are attempting to power the WAP via the PoE supplied by the 3560 switchport? I know I will run into problems attempting to run the N Antenna on a 1252 if I use PoE (15.4w) to power the wap and not the E Series Switches (20w), but does activating A,B, & G cause problems as well if you power the WAP off a PoE standards (15.4w) port ?

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: WAP 1252 and POE off a Cisco Cat 3560

Unfortunately, the antenna you're using doesn't affect the power draw of the AP. Since the 1252 requires ~18W to have both radios active at once, you'll be unable to power both 802.11a and 802.11g clients using 3560 PoE. You'll need to either plug it in to the wall or purchase power injectors for each 1252. Or, as you say, get an E-series switch.

Again, this has nothing to do with the antennas you're using. The 1252 simply has higher power requirements for its radios since they're built to support 802.11n radio technologies. There's nothing special about an "n" antenna, there are simply 3 antennas in each instead of 2.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content