Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS Application/Server Mode

JOSH GANT
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a customer who would like to change the mode their WCS software uses from application to service mode. Is this possible? Will this require a backup and then reinstall? Any help is appreciated.

- Josh

6 Replies 6

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Josh,

you cannot simple switch it. I have tested here in my lab.

The service mode installs an additional file in Windows\system32 dir JavaService.exe.

This JavaService.exe and the Apache Server are then installed as services in windows.

Therefore you have no chance to simple switch.

Take the alternative you mentioned:

backup the data, take a fresh install and restore.

Good Luck

Frank

Thank you Frank.

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

You can run a windows app as a service via a few reg hacks or use something like

http://www.application-as-service.com/

Hi Eric,

of course can you use some 3rd party tools for that.

But have you ever tested this with the WCS?

The Problem is the following:

If i use only the installed batch for the Service sometimes the sartup fail for several reasons.

If i use the Cisco Installer an additional file will be installed for the correct setup and start of the Java environment.

So these tools might bo not useable in this case.

Best regards,

Frank

Frank,

No, I have not tested it. I actually run WCS as a service in Linux. I was just dusting off my old windows knowledge that we used to use for programs such as MRTG, etc, that needed to be run as a service.

Perhaps you can create a batch file that calls the necessary files/environment/flags?

Hi Eric,

no there will be no batch, cause one file which starts the java environment as service will no be installed on a system with the Application setup option.

;-)

And on the otherhand i did not discovered the WCS subdirs if there are also some differences!

Best regards,

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: