Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS power cycle outage

keller.oliver
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I´m just forwarding this question for a friend of mine who can´t believe what his admins tell him....

If you have a medium size WCS based wireless installation and the WCS loses power, how long will it take for the whole system to be ready after power is back ?

The admins said something in the range of hours, which I personally find hard to believe.

I´m not sure if he´s talking about a planned reboot for OS upgrades etc or if they want to shut down the wireless part of the network for a give time (like on weekends etc). If the latter, I guess it would be easier to just shutdown all intefaces on all APs - is there some functionality like this ?

Sorry for the strange question, but I´m just a router / firewall guy and don´t want to give bad advice about cisco systems I´m not familiar with

1 Reply 1

BRYN JONES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

If the WCS loses power, there is no impact on the controllers or the AP and the wireless service continues to run. the WCS is merely a monitoring/mgmt tool that can be switched off without impacting service.

If the WCS is being upgraded, it can take about an hour or so, depending on how it is done. We upgraded to WCS 6.0.181.0 the other day and because the auto-update wouldn't work and we had to do it manually, it took about 2 hours or so, as the database needs to be backed from the old WCs version and then re-applied to the new WCS software.

Throughout all of this though, the wireless network continues to work...unless of course the controllers are being upgraded...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card