cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS RSSI

cowetacoit
Level 1
Level 1

How do you lower the power levels on an AP in one direction? One of my APs has way too much power in one direction. I'd like to pull it back a little. It is mounted on the ceiling of a room that is close to a wall of the building. It is broadcasting across the street.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You can't actually turn down power in one direction. The propagation of signal strength is determined entirely by your antenna, not the access point. If you turn the power down on the AP, it will reduce power in all directions.

What kind of antennas are you using? You might want to consider a directional antenna that broadcasts in one direction. Just keep in mind that there are always "leaks", and even a directional antenna will broadcast behind it a bit.

Try this link for more antenna options:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b_ps6521_Products_Data_Sheet.html

As for lowering power, you should be able to do that under the Configure -> Access Points in WCS.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You can't actually turn down power in one direction. The propagation of signal strength is determined entirely by your antenna, not the access point. If you turn the power down on the AP, it will reduce power in all directions.

What kind of antennas are you using? You might want to consider a directional antenna that broadcasts in one direction. Just keep in mind that there are always "leaks", and even a directional antenna will broadcast behind it a bit.

Try this link for more antenna options:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b_ps6521_Products_Data_Sheet.html

As for lowering power, you should be able to do that under the Configure -> Access Points in WCS.

ok thanks. When i was studying for my ccnp i thought remember the ONT cbt nugget video saying you could lower it in directions. I'll try just lowering the power. i am using a 1131 lwapp

Ah, 1131s don't even have the option of installing new antennas. Maybe just try moving the AP away from the wall a bit. Otherwise, yeah, lower the power level via the controller. Power level 1 is max power, power level 7 is minimum.

right. i just lowered the power level. worked like a charm. it took awhile to find that option.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card