Helpful
Replies

WCS stops working about once a week

Kristen Sanders
Level 1
Level 1

When we attempt to reach the WCS we receive this message occassionally,

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance  downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Apache Server at 143.120.12.30 Port 443

The quick fix has been to reboot the server.  This is starting to happen at least once a week now, and seems to be getting worse.  No changes were made to the server.  This problem just started happening all of the sudden.  Help!

Health Monitor is running.

WCS is stopped.

Database server is running

Apache server is running

WCS Version 7.0.220.0

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Go into the Administration, tab and take a look at the background tasks.  There is probably a task, backup I would think, that is running.  Once you see the task that is running at an inopportune time, change it so that it runs at a time noone shoudl be accessing the box.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi,

We have been facing similar issue in which the every few weeks we have to restart WCS services. Don't know whats the cause. We are using Version 7.0.172.0

I have checked the release notes for version 172 but couldn't find any caveat.

When WCS is not accessible:

Health Monitor is running

WCS is running

Database server is stopped

Apache server is running

After restart of WCS service (StopWCS and StartWCS)

Health Monitor is running

WCS is running

Database server is running

Apache server is running

Regards,

Akhtar

If you have to do this every so often, then I would either open a TAC case or upgrade to another version. I would hate to have to do that every other week or so.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

ramkris2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kristen,

A known issue with WCS - 7.0.220.0 is because of a crash due to native memory which has been identified as the following bug

CSCtu49966 - WCS crashes due to native memory error in 7.0.220.0

The workaround for this issue is to enable Escape Analysis in the JVM.  How to do this is 
outlined in the WCS 7.0.220.0 Release Notes at http://tools.cisco.com/squish/3202f
Essentially, Stop WCS, edit the startServer.bat/startServer.sh file (Windows/Linux)
appending "-XX:-DoEscapeAnalysis" (no quotes) to the set JAVA_OPTS line, then restart WCS.

Thanks,

Ram.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card