cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WCS to NCS Migration

chuckf
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to get all the templates and Maps I've created in WCS into our new NCS. The instructions say just run the export.bat file on WCS and then Migrate into NCS. I cannot find any export.bat file on version 7.0.220.0 of WCS. Is it only available in WCS version 7.0.164.3 ro 7.0.172.0? Do I have to use the export.bat file or can I just do a regular backup and restore?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ramkris2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The export.bat file is available on all versions of the WCS 7.0 train.

If your WCS is on Windows, the export.bat can be found under the "bin" directory. (For example: C:\Program Files\WCS7.0.220.0\bin).

A regular backup from WCS can't be restored to NCS. The data would need to be exported using the export scripts to be able to import it to NCS.

Ram

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

ramkris2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The export.bat file is available on all versions of the WCS 7.0 train.

If your WCS is on Windows, the export.bat can be found under the "bin" directory. (For example: C:\Program Files\WCS7.0.220.0\bin).

A regular backup from WCS can't be restored to NCS. The data would need to be exported using the export scripts to be able to import it to NCS.

Ram

Great Information Ram. Thanks for sharing. 5+

Regards,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager - Wireless

Thanks & Regards

Yes! I second that response. Thanks!!

The orginal installation was install on the secondary hard drive (D:). So in my case it was D:\WCS7.0.220.0\bin.

Make sure you are upgrade your NCS to 1.0.2.29 before restoring the wcs.zip export file. There are issues with the WCS database being larger than 4gig when importing into NCS and version 1.0.2.29 must address those issues. These steps were also recommended before exporting from WCS to optimize the database.

1. Stop the WCS 

2. Run X:\Program Files\WCS7.0.220.0\bin\dbadmin checkschema 

3. Run X:\Program Files\WCS7.0.220.0\bin\dbadmin defrag 

4. CD X:\Program Files\WCS7.0.220.0\webnms\db\eval_kit\standalone 

5. From the above directory, run ..\..\bin\solid -x reorganize 

6. Once completed, restart the WCS 

7. Export the data 

8. Import into the NCS

Thanks again for your help!

I have mirgrated WCS to NCS a couple of times. The backup from WCS goes smoothly.

Last time I used the CLI migrate command on NCS 1.0 to restore the .zip file from the WCS and it was not a problem.

However I now have Prime NCS 1.2 installed and the migrate command doesn´t seem to be available.

Does anyone know if this is supported in NCS 1.2 ?

I was instructed by a wireless engineer at Cisco that you can only export from WCS to NCS ver 1.1 then you can upgrade to 1.2 only. You would have to downgrade then rerun the export process.

I hope this helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

That is right... The process if you want to export from WCS is to migrate to NCS 1.0 or NCS 1.1. Then after a successful migration you can upgrade to PI 1.2.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe the migration only works from WCS to NCS. Prime infrastructure is different. You would need to have them bring up NCS for you to do the migration and then upgrade to PI 1.2.

The migration license is also only for NCS.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

gohussai
Level 4
Level 4

yes ramkris2 is right ,i tested it ,you can use export.bat file and also normal backup/restore doesn't work ,we have to import the exported maps.

thanks alot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: