cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WEP and the 1522

olympicridge
Level 1
Level 1

Can the the ap1522 work with legacy wgb350s using 64 or 128 bit WEP or no encryption at all.

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gordon,

This will not work due to the fact that the 1522 is LWAPP and the 350 is Autonomous;

Q. Is the Cisco Aironet 1500 Series compatible with the Cisco Aironet 1400 Series and Cisco Aironet 1300 Series?

A. The Cisco Aironet 1500 Series is LWAPP-based and will not interoperate with autonomous Cisco Aironet wireless bridges or access points such as the Cisco Aironet 1400 Series and the Cisco Aironet 1300 Series in autonomous mode. In addition, it will not bridge to the Cisco Aironet 1300 Series in lightweight mode because in lightweight mode, the Cisco Aironet 1300 Series operates only as an access point (and not a bridge). The Cisco Aironet 1500 Series will, however, co-exist in the same WLAN as a Cisco Aironet 1300 Series in lightweight mode (for example, within the same wireless LAN controller or across multiple controllers within the same mobility group), allowing a wireless client to roam seamlessly between the Cisco Aironet 1500 Series on the outdoor network and 1300 Series Access Points on the indoor network.

Cisco IOS Software-based APs (autonomous APs) that are configured as WGBs associate only with Cisco IOS Software-based APs. They cannot associate with Lightweight AP Protocol (LWAPP)-based APs. Cisco APs that are converted to lightweight mode also do not support WGB associations. This is because LWAPP devices cannot communicate with non-LWAPP devices at all.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_configuration_example09186a00805b9b87.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks for the fast response Rob. So do all LWAP units only work with other LWAP radios?

Here is my situation:

I am a WISP with about 50 customers. My source of internet is from a telco about 12 miles away which has a an AP350 using VxWorks OS and uses 128 bit WEP. I would like to replace that AP with the most modern Cisco unit I can find that would be compatible with my client radios which are all 350 and 1310 WGBs. I will probably replace the few 350's I am still using eventually with 1310's. I was thinking of using a AP1232 at the telco end so I could use both bands and two APs to spread the load or a 1310 and a 1410 at that end. Can you please give me your ideas on this. Thanks again, Gordon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card