cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When does a client roam in a CUWN?

Mark Mattix
Level 2
Level 2

I'm having some issues with clients on my network connecting to weak signal APs while there is another AP available with a strong signal. I realize the device should corrently connect to the strong signal and therefore it could be a problem with wireless nic drivers but when a client connects correctly and decides to roam around a building, what part decides to roam to a new AP? If the wireless NIC decides to roam why isn't the card trying to roam if there is a better signal detected?
Is it possible to configure the WLC that when a client reports (via RRM) that their signal is below -65dBm the WLC tells the client to look for a new AP to connect to?
Thanks for any help! -Mark

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ultimately the logic to associate/roam is all on the client.

That being said, there is a knob for Client Roaming that can be tweaked, but it requires the client to be ccx certified.  If the NIC is not CCX then it's a moot point.

But yes, make sure the NIC has the latest driver from the manufacturor.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thank you for the response Stephen!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: