Replies

which 1200 AP ?

kalyanccie
Level 1
Level 1

dear friends

which 1200 series 802.11b AP should i go for

AIR-AP1220B-A-K9 or AIR-AP1230B-A-K9

well i guess it looks same but, notice the 30 in the second option.

thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

mvario
Level 1
Level 1

The 1220 uses the origianl VxWorks firmware, the 1230 uses the newer IOS based firmware. The 1230 supports a few additional features and will be developed going forward. So if you want WPA or Cisco Structured Wireless-Aware Network then you'll need the 1230. VxWorks firmware is upgradeable on the 1200 series.

Does this mean that the 1220's we have upgraded to IOS are hardware limited and will not support the Cisco Structured Wireless network, or does this just mean VxWorks will not support it?

Newer features are being supported in IOS only, so long term you'll want all your 1200's on IOS.

The 1200 hardware is the same whether you are running IOS or VxWorks -- The different SKUs just determine which OS ships on the AP.

You can convert VxWorks to IOS by running a 1-time converter program. There isn't a method to go backwards from IOS to VxWorks.

no, a upgraded 1220 (VxWorks) system to a IOS is technically considered a 1230 AP from then on out, just on the back of the unit, it will still say 1220.

I also confirmed this with the TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card