Views
Helpful
Replies

Which network ip address will my mobile clients receive

suvf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks

I have an AP in my production site which has a vlan configured as native vlan and the ssid related to this vlan is being used for communication with other wireless bridges. The BVI interface of this AP is ofcourse having an IP of the native vlan.

Now I have a requirement of configuring this AP with mobile clients and these mobile clients should get IP addresses from the DHCP server. The IP address that these mobile clients should recieve is from a network which is different from that of the native vlan.

I know that I can define this new vlan in the APs as wellas everywhere in the network aswell as create a SSID binded to this VLAN, But I had this doubt in my mind if the client will really take the IP of the VLAN which I want or it will try to get an IP address of the VLAN to which the BVI interface belongs i.e. the native vlan.

Note:- The Client will be associated to the AP through the desired VLAN and not through the SSID of the native vlan.

I wanted to have your expert opinion before rolling this out in production.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Given that you are using one DHCP server with multiple scopes

AND

Given that your multiple VLANs & SSIDs trunk (802.1q) to a router to different subnets (each of which would need an "IP Helper" on the client-side interface)

Then the DHCP server should recognize which scope to deliver based on the VLAN that the request is received from.

Good Luck

Scott

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Given that you are using one DHCP server with multiple scopes

AND

Given that your multiple VLANs & SSIDs trunk (802.1q) to a router to different subnets (each of which would need an "IP Helper" on the client-side interface)

Then the DHCP server should recognize which scope to deliver based on the VLAN that the request is received from.

Good Luck

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: