cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wi-Fi

Mohammed Yusuf
Level 1
Level 1

Can you please advise which cisco solution for wifi is better for bigger office.
I am looking to implement on two floors.
Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

36 Replies 36

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Mohammad,

Just in short:

for what purpose you want to use ...like for guest or employees  or?

OInly for production area or ?

You can use Controller based solution : You need to buy a controller(2504 or 5508) and Cisco AP (2600 or as per ur requirment)

1. Plan ur requirments

2. Make a site survey.(Survey will show that how many AP u need ...)

3. Then deploy.

Regards

Mohammed Yusuf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sandeep,

We have already got two wifi routers serving for employees and guest but connection drops and sometimes out of range. I want to replace it with better and reliable system.

Do I need to buy WLC ? Is it a better way to implement wireless network? Would AP serve production and guest network simultaneously?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

If you have the budget... Then yes, it's the best way to implement wireless these days. You will be able to manage all AP's from the WLC and not have to manage each AP. Roaming and many of the newer features are also available when implementing a WLC.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

HI Mohammed,

If you have enough budget then it is the best solution.

Benifits of WLC:

• Provides both real-time and historical information about RF interference
  • If you have WLC then you dont need to configure anything to AP(zero touch configuration).
  • Manage all AP via WLC

....any many more.

Regards

So am I ok to assume One AP can support Production and Guest both?

How and where I should get the quote from for WLC and two or three APs?

Any recommendation?

How and where I should get the quote from

Because we don't know what country you are in, we do not know who the authorized Cisco resellers in that country are.  So instead, you'll have to search and choose for yourself.  Go here to search:  http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do

WLC and two or three APs?

You won't know how many APs you will need unless you are able to get a wireless site survey done.  Do that, and you'll be able to determine how many APs you need.

Next, Cisco has a lot of models for the AP.  I recommend you go here:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5678/Products_Sub_Category_Home.html

Search for the AP you are interested in.  I would recommend you DO NOT pick the 1600.

For the WLC, since you won't need anything in excess of 75 APs, I'd recommend you look into the WLC 2504.

All I can think I need 3 but I would try to buy two see if they cover both floors.

Is there any way I could do survey myself?

I am based in Lancashire (UK).

Is there any way I could do survey myself?

If you don't know what you are doing, how can you do a wireless site survey yourself?

If you'd like, get a floor done and watch (and learn) the person doing it like a hawk.   If you are confident enough, do the second floor yourself.

I am based in Lancashire (UK).

There are a lot of UK-based authorized Cisco reseller.  All you have to do is look for them youself.

One key bit when you are asking for a quote:  It is very, very important you SPECIFICALLY tell the vendor the country you will want to install the AP.  This is very important because if you or the vendor gets the wrong regulatory domain, you MAY NOT be able to get your AP to become operational.

What is the other option? Single APs on each floor without WLC. It would not harm if it works if not we only have to invest in WLC.
One thing I would like to ask can one AP provide both Guest and for employees?

One thing I would like to ask can one AP provide both Guest and for employees?

Of course it can.  Nearly everyone asks this scenario in the wireless forum. 

Is there a good AP you could think of, if it does not achieve our goal then we could go for WLC and use same AP.

Is there a good AP you could think of, if it does not achieve our goal then we could go for WLC and use same AP.

Mohammed,

Read my first response to this thread.  It will contain a link of all available AP models and my recommendation. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: